Eclectic interiors are quite popular in the design world of today. At first, these interiors look like a combination of randomly selected items and colors. But once you understand the eclectic design, you’ll find that it’s not exactly the easiest look to create.
Usually, eclectic interiors are highly personal. If you think you can’t decide between mid-century modern style, farmhouse style, or a bunch of other styles, it doesn’t mean you don’t have a taste.
What you really want is an eclectic style. The funky eclectic style carefully combines elements from different decorating styles, creating a unique interior style.
What Is Eclectic Style?
As mentioned earlier, eclectic interior design is all about mixing disparate styles, contrasting colors, and textures. But remember that all the interior styles are combined in such a way that the resulting style is cohesive. Thus, the eclectic style focuses on harmony.
The eclectic interior style doesn’t have any strict rules. This interior design is characterized by unpredictability, freedom, and variety. So, you can experiment and play with various styles, colors, and textures.
You can say that the eclectic design is the best of everything. It might seem easy to create an eclectic interior. But give it a try. You’ll find out how challenging it actually is.
While the eclectic design has become popular only recently, the words ‘eclectic’ and ‘eclecticism’ have been around for a long time.
The term ‘eclecticism’ was often used in philosophy. This concept entered the world of architecture between the late 19th to early 20th century. The eclectic style was birthed when artists and architects started to do their own thing.
They selected elements from multiple styles but didn’t adhere to any particular style. With time, it created a completely new style known as the eclectic style. Eventually, this design entered the world of decor.
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to the eclectic style. But the following are some common characteristics that pop up in eclectic decor regularly:
- A harmonious mix of styles, patterns, and textures
- Neutral background colors
- Unique art and furnishings
- Celebration of contrasts
- Gallery walls
- Use of unique materials and items
- Incorporation of global influences
- Handmade items or items having a sentimental value
- Often seems cluttered, but everything has its place
- A careful combination of old and new
Tips for Creating Eclectic Style
Despite being a bit chaotic, a successful eclectic style should actually feel unified, with carefully thought designs and patterns. Here are some tips for creating a funky eclectic style:
- Choose a color palette: Just like any other interior design, you have to choose one main color and add a few accent colors.
- Bold furnishings with neutral walls: You can prevent your interiors from looking too chaotic by making the walls neutral. It’ll balance the textures and patterns of the bold furniture. However, if you want patterned wallpaper, be sure to keep furnishings a bit neutral.
- You don’t have to overcrowd the room. Keep in mind that you can get funky with patterns or textures. But you should not overcrowd the room. Extra furniture, art, or other décor items are unnecessary.
To create an eclectic interior, you can find plenty of affordable items in our online store. We offer everything you need, from geometric style items, such as geometric rugs (and lots of other styles), flower vases, and Nordic style items to canvas posters, silk peony bouquets, night lights, and much more.